Tuesday, June 19, 2012

On Signs and Changes


On Signs and Changes
Ok, so far it has been pretty easy dealing with my MDS (other than the scare factor).  I mean the MDS only has been indicated in some clinical numbers, low blood counts, some cells that in my bone marrow that are slightly more than what they should be, etc.  Just some numbers on a clinical chart.  Well, I think that the clinical diagnosis only is coming to an end; I believe that I am now seeing signs that indicate that I have MDS, not bad signs, but definite indications that something is now changing. 

Sign number one – I’ve had a rash on my legs. It is not bad, does not itch, does not respond to hydro cortisone.  From my research, it could mean a reaction to low platelet count.  But it went  away for the most part.

Sign number two – some mild fatigue.  Yeah, sometimes I get tired and need a short nap during the day.  It has been happening more during the past 6 months than before and maybe it is a consequence to my sleep apnea and maybe not.  I do know that fatigue is the most common symptom of MDS. 

Sign number three – bruising easily, especially on the arms.  OK, so I have been working at Home Depot sometimes loading heavy cartons of floor tile for customers as well as doing a bunch of home improvements that can bruise me.  But my arms and legs get bruised far more often recently than before.  Another symptom of low blood platelets.  My arms now seem to be in a constant state of having bruises.  I am really believing that this is a definite symptom of having MDS.

So I have some pretty definite proof that I have MDS – what have I been doing?  Although I know that my MDS is pretty much an incurable condition, I have made some changes in my life.  I am doing 30 minute power walks about 3 times a week – it really energizes me. I have read that exercise is probably the only thing that can help the fatigue often associated with MDS.  Also, I’m starting  to be more of a germicide – I’m washing my hands more often, especially after being in public places, try to stay away from sick people , and am thinking about how to manage my malady if my immune system gets worse.  Additionally, I’m trying to eat and sleep more healthily; don’t know if it will help, but it certainly cannot hurt.

I about a week, I'll see Dr M again. Will check the old blood levels and see where I am. Hopefully, I'll have a good checkup.

For the last 10 + years I have downloaded a monthly inspirational calendar as my computer desktop background from Crosscards.com (http://www.crosscards.com/). This month’s serves as my inspiration.  It reads:  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.  This reminds me that I should not focus on what is ailing me, but rather on what Jesus is promising us to come.  If we focus on what is ailing us, we will lose sight on the wonderful things ahead of us, we will become self-centered, concentrating on the illness ahead of us only and not on the wonderful things God has promised.  Please check out this month’s calendar (We do not lose heart in Inspirational Links) 

Thank you for reading my blog and please feel free to pass this along to whoever you feel may need to read this.  Comments encouraged.

God’s peace

No comments:

Post a Comment